PROPELLER CLUB OF PORT CANAVERAL EDUCATION INITIATIVES
The Propeller Club provides one or more scholarships to graduating Brevard County High School seniors pursuing further education in the Maritime industry. Select the "Scholarship" tab on the main page for more information.
Rockledge High School Maritime Studies Program
The Propeller Club supports the Rockledge High School HELM Maritime Studies program by coordinating field trips, career shadow opportunities, classroom speakers and financial assistance. The program uses the State of Florida approved High School Maritime Studies curriculum.
Maritime Occupational Training and Job Opportunities
The Propeller Club of Port Canaveral partners with CareerSource Brevard to identify maritime professions for which funds can be made available for training and obtaining U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Marine documents such as the MMD and TWIC. The club engages with companies providing maritime training courses and supports maritime training initiatives in Brevard county. We spread the word about maritime industry education and employment opportunities for graduated High School students to obtain entry level unlicensed employment in the industry, as well as for re-training opportunities for individuals looking to make a career change.
A Florida Maritime Academy in Brevard County
This ambitious idea has been promoted by several of our Propeller Club of Port Canaveral members who have engaged with local colleges, the Port Authority and the county to promote the establishment of a four year maritime college for the State of Florida. Unfortunately the efforts of a few dedicated members have not been successful in gaining political support. Nevertheless, the club believes that Florida should have a state Maritime Academy and that Brevard County would be an ideal location.
Why a Florida Maritime Academy?
- Florida is home to over ten deepwater ports, the three busiest cruise ship ports in the world, and substantial miles of navigable waterways and rivers.
- Currently, Florida High School students desiring a maritime education have to attend one of the state maritime academies in California, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, and Texas or the federal U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in New York. In the recent past many of these schools offered discounted tuition for Florida students. However, enrollment at these schools has increased to the point where discounts are no longer being offered. Our Florida students seeking maritime related degrees and Merchant Marine licenses have limited and expensive options.
- Florida is home to a large amount of Merchant Mariners serving aboard U.S. flag merchant vessels, including many who work in the energy sector of the Gulf of Mexico, as well as on inland rivers across the country, and on deep sea vessels.
- Florida is home to many maritime-related companies and industries from cruise lines to ship-building companies that construct tugboats for harbors and rivers all over the U.S.
Why Brevard County as the location for an Academy?
- Brevard County is centrally located in the state, has a major deepwater port at Port Canaveral, and is served by two international airports.
- Brevard County is home to several state universities that could provide a home for a Florida Maritime Academy.
- The establishment of a maritime academy in Brevard County would bring economic benefits.